Jon Rahm was forced to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament in Ohio, which he led by six strokes on Saturday, after the Spaniard tested positive for COVID-19, the PGA Tour said.
The 26-year-old’s last test, carried out after the rain-shortened second lap on Friday, turned out positive on Saturday and was confirmed again while he was on the track.
PGA Tour officials briefed Rahm of the test result when he left the course, and the stunned former world number one placed his hand over his face and leaned over in agony and disbelief after receiving the news.
“I am very disappointed that I have to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament,” said the asymptomatic cream on Twitter.
“This is one of those things that happens in life, one of those moments when our reaction to setback defines us as human beings. I am very grateful that my family and I are fine.”
According to CDC guidelines, Rahm must remain in isolation until June 15 and said he plans to return to the golf course as soon as possible.
“Thanks to all the fans for their support and I’m looking forward to seeing all of you at the showdown tomorrow afternoon,” he said.
Calling it “an incredibly unfortunate situation,” the PGA Tour added that during the 50 events held since the pandemic shutdown ended last year, there had been only four positive tests within the competition, including cream.
The defending champion of the tournament, Rahm, sat in the driver’s seat at Muirfield Village Golf Club on Saturday, where he was 18 under par and six strokes ahead.
If he had won on Sunday, he would have made $ 1.674 million.
With cream out of the picture, the Americans Collin Morikawa and Patrick Cantlay are now the co-leaders at 12 under par on their way to the last 18 holes.
Our standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.